Gitana was launched in 1989; she was designed by Fabio Perini for his personal use. Gitana is the only megayacht in the Perini Navi fleet to have this distinction. She is one of a kind.
During the 2006 safety-technical refit/upgrade Gitana was surveyed for and was awarded a commercial registration.
Gitana reflects many Fabio Perini innovations — some have transformed the industry while others are unique to Gitana. These include: seven captive winches; computerized sail controls; auto tacking; automatic, concealed self-storing boarding gangway; captive winch-controlled passerelle; large, concealed overhead ventilators; and a unique all-weather enclosable 40-foot all teak cockpit with 360-degree visibility integrating full helm station, dinette, wet bar (sink; recessed, hidden grill; refrigerator; large, recessed, drained, built-in "ice bucket;" etc.), lounge area, and two opening circular sun/sky lights.
Unlike other Perini Navi Megayachts with forward obscuring raised deckhouses, Gitana’s cockpit has a full view forward. The Helm station is not isolated in a flybridge. This allows Gitana to have a sleek, classic, low sailing profile with minimum windage, traditional transom, and beautiful classic lines. Gitana also has a second, fully enclosed inside bridge/helm station.
Gitana is a twin-headsail; cutter-rigged sloop, with more than 6,500 square feet of sail, including a 130% automatic furling Genoa.
Gitana exemplifies the Perini philosophy that it should be possible to enjoy the pleasure of a large yacht without a large crew. This gives the owner and guests more privacy and space and saves crew costs. Gitana can be sailed single-handed from the inside or outside helm station, reefing, tacking, stowing, or trimming sails. Although displacing 210 tons, Gitana can be sailed off a mooring with the full 6,500 square feet of sail set in less than a minute.
Gitana has a deck-stepped 121-foot/37-meter (134 ft overall) Nirvana Stowaway, 4-spreader, aluminum mast and furling gear fabricated in one piece, and a carbon fiber boom with an internal electric topping lift. The rig incorporates such Perini Navi ideas as large bottle screws for locking off the furling genoa and staysail halyards so that the tails can be removed from the hoisting to keep the decks uncluttered. All sheets are stowed below deck on two-speed captive winches, which automatically change gear and are pre-set not to overload the sails. With the Perini Navi automatic tacking facility, one winch eases while the other takes in the new tack. A memory in the sail computer system adjusts the sheet tension so that the genoa, staysail, and main are automatically sheeted to the same tension on the previous tack.
General Specifications Top
- Builder: Perini Navi
- YEAR: 1989
- LENGTH: 118 ft / 36.00 m; waterline 89 ft 9 in /27.36m
- BEAM: 25 ft/7.60m
- DRAUGHT: 10 ft 4 in/3.14m (hydraulic sliding keel up)/ 19 ft/5.80m (keel down)
- OVERALL HEIGHT: height above water line; 135 ft.
- CAPACITIES: Fuel - 5,650 US gallons/21,400 litres; Water – 1,850 US gallons/7,000 liter's
- Max hull speed 12.6 kts.
- Cruising speed 10-11 kts.
- Range > 3000 N.M.
- CONSTRUTCION: Hull: Steel, Superstructure: Aluminum
- DISPLACEMENT: 210 tons
- Flag: St. Vincents (surveyed for and awarded commercial registration, 2006)
- ACCOMMODATIONS: 7/10 owner’s party; 4 crew
- ENGINES: Twin Mercedes (MTU 10V 183) V10 291 hp diesel engines
- Hydraulic, electric clutched, accessory pumps
- Continuously variable pitch 43-inch propellers, with full sailing, feathered, position (reconditioned by Berg in Sweden 2000)
- Berg 2000 engine, clutch and pitch controls; 3 stations (new 2001)
- Two Kilopack diesel generators 42kw/35kw; 220vac, 50 Hz, 3/phase. Two Trace 4kw inverters 220vac and 120vac 60Hz. (Back up 24-vdc, 100 amp-battery charging.)
- Two 600 gpd Matrix watermakers (1,200 gpd total)
- Alpha Laval
- Tenjford commercial redundant, dual pump hydraulic steering system
- Dual Flowscan metering, tachometer, digital synch systems
- Bow Thruster, Berg SPF 0.5H-600KG
- Sanitation: Evac marine vacuum (7 heads)
Sails & Spars Top
1 x Mainsail (new 2002)
1 x 130% Genoa (new 2002)
1 x Staysail (new 2002)
1 x light weather spinnaker (new 2005)
Four spreader Nirvana (121 ft.) one piece aluminum mast with furling gear.
Carbon fiber boom with internal sheets and outhaul and internal topping lift winch.
Deck Equipment Top
Seven x Perini Navi automatic captive winches, reconditioned by Perini 2002.
3 x Anatal 330 ST electric self tailing winches (new 2001)
2 x Anatal 226 manual self tailing winches
Teak and SS captive winch controlled Passerelle
Teak and aluminum "dock walker" boarding gangway
Teak and SS chocks and hardware for 15' Castoldi custom inboard diesel tender
Multiple storage lockers, lockers for captive winches, bowswain locker, deck hatches for each crew cabin and a hatch for the crew mess, hatches for forepeak, chain locker and lazarett.
Anchor windless and wildcat.
- Furuno 96 NM color radar with ARPA (new 1999)
- Furuno dual-station 72 NM radar (repeater in cockpit, new 2003)
- Anschutz gyro compass with repeater in cockpit (new 1999)
- Furuno FAP-50 dual-station autopilot
- Northstar color GPS (new 1999), Philips GPS (both integrated)
- Four 15-inch flat screen color displays (switchable, multipurpose)
- Nobeltek integrated color GPS/plotter with dedicated computer and charts (new 1999)
- Transas commercial integrated color GPS/plotter with dedicated computer and charts (new 1999)
- Dual station Skanti TRP 2500 commercial VHF
- Skanti TRP 8250 150 watt SSB
- Cell Phone integrated base station, digital GSM (US and European) (new 2000)
- Satellite Phone KVH MINI M satcom (auto tracking) (new 2003)
- Eight-station 3/8 PBX, Land, Satphone, Cellphone plus intercom (11 instruments) with PA (new 2000)
- Weather station with three remote displays (new 2001)
- Forward and Side Scan Sonar/fathometer (new 2001)
- ADF (Automatic Radio Direction-Finder) (new 2000)
- B&G instruments, full set, two stations, Hydra 2000, B&G backup autopilot and auto wind pilot.
- Furuno weather fax (stand alone and integrated with SSB)
- Ship’s administrative computer, 17" color flat screen, HP-color printer, scanner, copier, enlarger/reducer, facsimile (all new 2003)
- Two programmable, low-light color navigation/security cameras mounted on spreaders (new 2003), integrated with entertainment system
- 9-channel video switcher integrating entertainment, navigation and security video, providing full color information displays available in all cabins and crews mess
- 1 GPERB, 1 EPERB, 1 SART
- Two 10-person life rafts (stored in recessed deck compartments) (new 1999) (re-certified 2003)
- Smoke/Fire detection system, (new 1999), FM-200 fire suppression system new (2002)
- High capacity integrated fire/bilge pump system
- Free standing, high capacity emergency diesel, fire/bilge pump
- Free standing fire extinguishers (19) and safety breathing hoods
- Castoldi custom 15 ft diesel 100 hp inboard RIF tender (new 2002)
- Masthead strobe, spreader mounted owner absent light.
- Complete multi-system monitoring panel, including indicators for power distribution, battery consumption and charging, bilge level, tankage levels, and monitors for running/navigation lights, smoke/fire systems, HVAC, E-Vac system, sail computers, LED monitors for status of ships critical systems.
- Color TV monitors in crew mess and owners suite, guest cabins, salon (new 2003)
- Four watertight compartments
- Professional medical/surgical emergency kit including defibrillator
Entertainment and Comfort Systems Top
- Home theater system, surround sound (new 2001)
- Large flat screen plasma color TV, integrated, built-in in salon (new 2001)
- DVD, CD, VHS, KVH satellite tracking system (US and European)
- TIVO (new 2002)
- Marble, mirrored bar with refrigerator (Salon)
- HVAC throughout all living areas; cabins individually adjustable (digital controls new 2002)
Summary of Facilities Top
GENERAL: Gitana's decks, bulwark, cap rail, and combing are teak. All built in cockpit furniture, storage cabinets and wet bar/grill is teak. Below deck, aft of the crew area all surfaces, cabinets, counters, lockers are teak (except in the companionway between cabins which is clad with alacantra for contrast and brightness. All overhead is alacantra. All fittings, hand rails, draw and cabinet pulls, faucets, portholes and hinges are gold plated. There are lalique lighting fixtures in the salon, guest cabins, and owners suite. Fine fabrics and custom loomed carpet has been used throughout. Bathrooms integrate the use of teak, marble, and granite.
- Cockpit: Believed to be the only one of its kind on a sailing Megayacht, occupying 1/3 of the deck space; full helm station with all engine and sail controls, repeater for radar, gyro-compass, auto pilot, flat screen display for switchable navigation functions; Full wet bar/bbq area with built in sink, refrigerator, recessed "ice bucket" and electric grill; eight person dining table with upholstered bench seats, four integrated teak and upholstered lounge seats and a teak/upholstered settee.
- Bridge: Helm station with all sail and engine controls, 3- 15"x15" switchable color displays, master controls for radar, gyrocompass, GPS systems, autopiplot and two helmsman seats; Separate navigation station with ships administrative computer and weather station; built in settee and lounge chair.
- Companionway between Bridge and Engine room contains complete multi-system monitoring panel, including indicators for power distribution, battery consumption and charging, bilge level, tankage levels, and monitors for running/navigation lights, smoke/fire systems, HVAC, E-Vac system, sail computers, LED monitors for status of ships systems.
- Engine Room: full height, workbench, redundant engine controls and indicators access to, and control of ships systems and four diesel engines.
- Salon: Custom built in teak cabinets, bookcases and counters on three sides; starboard- L shaped settee, expandable teak dining table seats eight; port- L shaped settee, two lounge chairs, around a teak coffee table face the home theater/entertainment system and marble, mirrored bar.
- Guest day head, off salon, with marble vanity, granite deck, gold plated fixtures.
- Galley/Crew mess: Teak cabinets, drawers and shelves through out, cork deck with hatches to pump room, step-down deep freezer, and pantry. Port side includes four burner electric stove and grill, two convection ovens, convection microwave, dishwasher, two SS sinks, ice maker, eight SS refrigerator compartments, very large deep freezer. Starboard side crew mess includes; L shaped settee, washer/dryer, crew entertainment center and a small freezer.
- Two crew cabins: each with two single beds, teak hanging/ storage lockers, head and shower (additional storage compartments below deck)
- Port guest cabin: king bed, Pullman berth, night stand, large desk/bureau, hanging locker with storage drawers under, private bath with head, bidet, stall shower, marble vanity, granite tile deck and gold plated fixtures, phone/intercom, entertainment systems.
- Starboard guest cabin: queen bed, single bed, Pullman berth, night stand, hanging locker with storage drawers under, private bath with head, bidet, stall shower, marble vanity, granite tile deck and gold plated fixtures, phone/intercom, entertainment systems
- Master (owner’s suite): queen bed, nightstand, desk, L shaped settee (opens to single berth), mirrored dressing area, two large hanging lockers with storage drawers under, built in teak bookcases, two private baths each with head, bidet, stall shower, marble vanity, granite tile deck and gold plated fixtures, phones/intercom, entertainment systems.
- Lazarette: machine/equipment room, storage, 2nd large capacity dryer
- Forepeak: large storage area.